Equal Opportunity Officers at GEOMAR
Dr. Heidemarie Kassens
Phone: 04 31 / 600 - 28 50
Members of the Equal Opportunity Working Group:
Prof. Dr. Peter Herzig (Director / Chairman)
Ina Schultheiß (Legal Advisor / Deputy Chairwoman)
Prof. Dr. Martin Visbeck
Ursula Frank-Scholz (provisional Head of Administration)
Jan-Pit Peters (Head of Department Personnell)
Dr. Nicole Schmidt (Executive Affairs)
Dr. Heidemarie Kassens (Equal Opportunity Officer)
Peter Wehrhahn (Chairman of the Staff Council)
The German Act According Equal Rights to Women in Schleswig-Holstein
"It is an assignment of the state, municipalities and associations of local authorities as well as the other responsible bodies in public administration to promote the legal and actual equality of women and men."
The state legislator acted on this constitutional obligation, which is also anchored in the German constitution, by passing the Act on Equal Rights for Women in Civil Service on 13 December 1994 [Gesetz zur Gleichstellung/GstG].
In accordance with Section 1, 2nd sentence, it particularly promotes equal rights for women in civil service by creating working conditions that enable both women and men to reconcile their family life with their work:
- compensation for disadvantages that women in particular experience as a consequence of the gender-specific division of labour,
- fair participation of women in all wage, salary and pay grades as well as committees.
The most important control instruments provided by the GstG are:
- the regulation of priority (Sections 3 to 6)
- the obligation to set up an action plan to promote women (Section 11)
- the prohibition of sexual harassment (Section 16)
- the obligation to appoint Equal Opportunities Officers (Sections 17 - 23)
The GstG has proven to be driver for advancing equal opportunities and, therefore, modernizing public administration. The state government's Second Report on Equal Opportunities proves that it was possible to achieve further progress in all spheres of activity in accordance with Section 1 by consistently implementing the GstG.
Schleswig-Holsteinisches Gleichstellungsgesetz (in German)