Board of Trustees
Tasks of the Board of Trustees
(1) The Board of Governors supervises the legality, expediency and efficiency of the administration of the Foundation's business. Taking the opinion of the Scientific Advisory Board into consideration, the Board of Governors makes decisions on the basic issues concerning the Foundation, including financial matters.
(2) After consulting the Board of Directors and the Foundation's advisory committees, the Board of Governors shall reach decisions on strategic and programme-related issues in the field of research, including the professional expertise of prominent positions in the scientific field.
(3) The Board of Governors defines the annual budget and multiannual financial plans, including the programmes for expansion and investment. The Board of Governors audits the annual financial statement and annual report presented by the Board of Directors as well as the progress report of the Centre; it states whether or not it approves the annual financial statement and progress report of the Centre drawn up by the Board of Directors and decides on the formal approval of the actions of the Board of Directors.
(4) In accordance with Section 17, the Board of Governors decides on amendments to the Statutes and the dissolution of the Foundation.
(5) The Board of Governors appoints the members of the Board of Directors for a term of no more than five years. They may be reappointed. The Scientific Advisory Board and the Scientific Council must be consulted before members are appointed or reappointed. Only the Scientific Director must be consulted if the Board of Governors is considering the position of the Administrative Director.
(6) The representative of the federal government on the Board of Governors shall conclude, amend and terminate the employment contracts with the full-time members of the Board of Directors. The Board of Governors shall be responsible for making claims for damages on behalf of the Foundation against members of the Board of Directors; to this extent, it represents the Foundation in court and out of court.
(7) The Board of Governors appoints the members of the Scientific Advisory Board.
(8) The following requires the previous consent of the Board of Governors:
a) exceptional measures and legal transactions that go beyond the scope of day-to-day operations and which could significantly influence the Foundation's activities, such as
- important agreements on a collaboration with other national and international institutions and other facilities,
- the purchase, sale and encumbrance of real estate and rights equivalent to real property, or
- the acquisition, increase and sale of equity interests in companies,
b) significant changes or supplements to the previous assignments and significant organizational changes within the Foundation,
c) issuing rules of procedure for the bodies.
MinDir. Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher (Chair)
Federal Ministry for Research and Education
Secretary of State Rolf Fischer (Deputy Chair)
Ministry for Education and Science of the State of Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Fouquet
President, Kiel University
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang J. Duschl
Dean of the Faculty for Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Kiel University
Prof. Dr. Jochem Marotzke
Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board
Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg
Prof. Dr. Monika Rhein
University of Bremen
Prof. Dr. Hildegard Westphal
Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Ecology, Bremen
Dr. Philip Murmann
ZÖLLNER Signal GmbH
Dr. Jörn Biel
Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Kiel
Prof. Dr. Peter M. Herzig
Prof. Dr. Tina Treude
Chair of the scientific council
Dr. Ingo Hennings
Scientific representative of the staff council
Mr. Peter Wehrhahn
Chair of the staff council and non-scientific representative of the staff council
Dr. Heidemarie Kassens
Equal rights representative
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Mlynek
President of the Helmholtz Association of Germen Research Centres