Ocean Circulation and Climate Dynamics
Global Ocean at 1/2°
The 1/2° configuration ORCA05 does not resolve any mesoscale eddies, though its mixing effect is parameterized. This configuration is often used to investigate large-scale variability and to simulate periods lasting multiple hundred of years (also coupled to the atmosphere). It is also often used as base model for grid refinement experiments (AGRIF nests).
- NEMO ocean
- LIM2 sea ice (elastic-viscous rheology)
- Tripolar ORCA grid
- Grid Points: 511 x 722 x 46
- Nominal Grid Point Distance: Eq: ~56 km; 60°N: ~30 km
- Time Step: 2016s
- Gent and McWilliams parameterization for eddy mixing
Typical simulations are:
- Control run (climatological forcing)
- Hindcast experiment (interannual forcing, past 60 years)
- Several sensitivity runs (e.g. to single components of the atmospheric forcing or parameter settings)
Simulations and numerical experiments with this configuration are mostly done using high performance computing facilities at the University CAU in Kiel.
Data is available only internally. For data requests from outside GEOMAR, please contact the Model and Data Management (see right column).