Ocean Circulation and Climate Dynamics
Southern Ocean Nest at 1/12°
ORION12 is a nested configuration designed to better resolve the mesoscale eddy variability of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC). The ACC is a current of global significance and its rich mesoscale eddy field shapes its dynamics and water mass properties. ORION12 features a 1/12° AGRIF nest embedded between 30°S and 68°S into a global ocean model at 1/4° (ORCA025).
Person in charge: Lavinia Patara
- NEMO ocean
- LIM2 sea ice (elastic-viscous rheology)
- Tripolar ORCA grid
- CORE-II Bulk forcing
- Grid Points: 4237 x 754 x 46
- Typical Grid Point Distance: 4.5 km at 60°S
- Climatological control run (90 years)
- Hindcast reference experiment (last 60 years)
Simulations and numerical experiments with this configuration are mostly done using high performance computing facilities at HLRN.
Data is available only internally. For data requests from outside GEOMAR, please contact the Model and Data Management (see right column).