MaFNAP_2017: Social Program
The social program is planned to encompass:
- Visit to GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology (GEOMAR-Biotech)
- Visit / guided tour of GEOMAR Technics and Logistics Centre (TLZ)
- Guided tour of Plön castle
- Coffee and Snack in "Pförtnerhäuschen" with view of Plön castle and the Great Plön Lake
- Bus Transfer from Wissenschaftszentrum (conference venue) to Plön and back to Kiel main station
Duration: ca. 12.30 until ca. 18.30
GEOMAR-Biotech (GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology) is an integral part of the Research Unit Marine Natural Product Chemistry (RU MN) at GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (Germany). GEOMAR-Biotech is dedicated to transferring the research results of the RU MN in marine biotechnology and biodiscovery to application.
GEOMAR Technics and Logistics Centre
The technology and logistics centre (TLZ) comprises the marine technological competence of GEOMAR. The TLZ is home to the large-scale sea-going infrastructure of GEOMAR, such as JAGO, the only manned research submersible in Germany, the remotely operated underwater vehicles KIEL6000 and PHOCA, as well as the autonomous underwater vehicle ABYSS.
Fielmann Akademie Plön castle
Plön castle was built in the 17th century. In the 19th century, the castle became the official summer residence of Christian VIII, King of Denmark. Later, it served as a cadet training school and after the 2nd world war as a boarding school. In 2002, the Fielmann Akademie bought the castle, followed by an internal reconstruction. Today it is used to a large extent as an elite optician academy but also as a museum showing the historical Duke´s Rokoko-rooms.