Important! Application deadline: 30th April!
Schedule application process see further below!
Entry to the programme requires a completed Bachelors Degree with a biological focus (>30% of your total ECTS points should entail biological modules). You may apply for the term beginning every year in October if you expect your Bachelors degree to be awarded in the same year. If the final Bachelor Degree has not been awarded at the moment of the application, you must submit a listing of your graded completed modules at the time of application. Equivalent degrees from other countries with a major focus on biological disciplines will also be considered for admission.
Minimum entrance requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree, minimum grade 2.5 or B-.
- >30% of your total ECTS points should entail biological modules.
- proficiency in English (mandatory for non native speakers): TOEFL (paper based score 550, computer based score 213, internet based 85 at minimum), IELTS (Band 6 at minimum), University of Cambridge (Certificate in Advanced English at minimum), etc.
Admission will be granted based on
- the grade of your bachelors’ degree (minimum grade 2.5 or B- (provide a GPA of your university/subject for the previous year)),
- a transcription of your completed modules,
- a test of your proficiency in English (download equivalence list with e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, University of Cambridge, see application form for further details)
- a statement of your motivation in taking part in the course, your CV and extra-curricular achievements.
abstract or proposal of your B.Sc.-thesis (if applicable/if not please comment).
- further details stated in the application form.
Important! For more details (admission, examinations etc.) look at the official Fachprüfungsordnung Biological Oceanography - (german only) or contact the study advisor.
Applications are accepted electronically only (PDF format).
Additionally we reserve the option of conducting telephone / internet interviews with you. Feel free to submit any additional information which can help your application. Please read the application form for details of the entire procedure!
Deadline for submission of completed applications to the GEOMAR (see application form for details)
06th - 15th May
Telephone / internet interviews, if considered necessary
Provisional acceptance or final rejection of applicants
Completion of administrative formalities for foreign students by the International Center of the university. Foreign students will be sent the formalities (visa etc.) from the International Center of the university.
July - September
Final acceptance for the Master Programme based on your final Bachelor Grade. This you must provide immediately after receipt, if you not already included it in your application.
Personal enrolment at the Christian Albrecht’s University (CAU) in Kiel. Please inform yourself on the website of the university about the necessary documents (e.g. Antrag Master 1-Fach, health insurance etc.) and the exact dates!
The Application Form is available here also.
The next Application Deadline is 30th April 2014.
East Shore Campus
Building 4, Room 116
Phone: +49 (0)431 600 2810
Consultation Tuesday 9 to 10 a.m.
Chairman of Examination Board
Christian Albrecht University
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
Office Examination Board
Physics Centre, Room L11/105
Tel.: 880-3724, -4157
Office hours: Mon, Tue, Thu 9 -11, Tue 14-16 or after arrangement