Master theses at GEOMAR
Towards the end of the third semester when you are preparing your thesis proposal, consult your future supervisor (e.g. second reviewer) and the Examination Board Office concerning the procedure connected to your master thesis.
As your proposal is your "detailed roadmap" for your thesis, most issues like exact title, supervisor, second reviewer etc. are solved this way before you start your thesis work.
- Starting your thesis work without your proposal handed in is - although possible - not a good idea.
Follow the steps below to prepare, perform and hand in your thesis.
- Make up your mind (latest beginning of third semester) in which field of marine science (i.e. which research group at GEOMAR, CAU or external) you want to do your master thesis.
- Consult your future supervisor and study advice (third semester).
- Consult the Examination Board Office (there it will be cheked
- If all your ECTS are booked to your account,
- If anything else is missing etc.
- Fill out and sign the form "Application on admission to the master thesis" handed out by the Examination Board Office.
- When you hand in the application please send a copy to the study advice
- Perform your labwork and experiments.
- Write together thesis.
- Organize your thesis defense (sometimes it's difficult to find dates, especially with external reviewers).
- Hand in your thesis.
- After you handed in your thesis at the Examination Board Office (two hard copies and an electronic version), hand in an electronic version at the GEOMAR library.
- Stand your defense.
Further information concerning master theses:
- Procedures advices - here you find some answers to "when, how, where"-questions.
- Example of a declaration of authorship - needed as part of your thesis handed in.
- General information: guidelines for preparation of scientific publications
- Example of a thesis
- Addintional procedures (consult Examination Board Office and study advisor)
Below you find a list of master theses done at GEOMAR at the end of the M.Sc. Biological Oceanography curriculum.
A complete list of all master theses prepared at GEOMAR you can find within OceanRep - OceanRep is an open access digital collection containing the research output of GEOMAR staff and students. Included are journal articles, conference papers, book chapters, theses and more, - with fulltext, if available.
Master theses MSc. Biological Oceanography