Research today is data-based research. For Germany as a science location, it is essential to bundle competencies in this field and to completely redefine information-based research. For this reason, the Helmholtz Association has created the Helmholtz Incubator.
In 2016, Helmholtz established the Helmholtz Incubator Information & Data Science to bring together and strengthen the outstanding competencies and enormous data resources of the Association. With the Helmholtz Incubator, Helmholtz aims to bring together experts from the entire community on a regular basis in order to create the fundamentals for innovative, interdisciplinary networks and approaches as well as to identify future-oriented topics and disruptive pilot projects.
In addition, five topics, so-called "platforms" of particular strategic importance for the entire Helmholtz Association, were named:
- Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration (HMC) - Coordinated by GEOMAR: https://www.helmholtz.de/en/research/information-data-science/helmholtz-metadata-collaboration-plattform-hmc/
- Helmholtz Artifical Intelligence Cooperation Unit (HAICU): Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: https://haicu.de/
- Helmholtz Information & Data Science Academy (HIDA): Training of young scientists in re-designed graduate schools as part of a national consortium: https://www.helmholtz-hida.de/
- Helmholtz Imaging Platform (HIP): Imaging procedures & analysis methods
- Helmholtz Infrastructure for Federated ICT Services (HIFIS): Basic technologies and services for large-scale data-based research