Lithothek & Core Repository
GEOMARs Lithothek holds a collection of more than 9 kilometres of split sediment core samples. This includes app. 5 kilometres of cores from the Red Sea (PREUSSAG-collection). Additionally, samples of hard rocks, corals, sediment traps seawaters and pore waters are stored. These samples are available for current and future research projects. Cold storage is available for sections of box cores to especially preserve the Holocene sediment record. Samples are provided for research as well as for educational purposes and museum displays in limited quantities.
The Lithothek service is supported by technicians and is responsible for:
- Processing incoming and outgoing sediment cores and samples
- Archiving marine sample material
- Documenting available samples in a data bank (PANGAEA)
The Lithothek supports the increasing use of non-destructive devices for high resolution logging of marine sediments obtaining information about physical properties (GEOTEK MSCL: multiple-sensor split core logger). The core laboratory is set up for digital core photography, core descriptions, measurements, sampling and processing of samples. The Lithothek facility is used for the development and testing of sampling devices, storage of sample material, analysis and the staging of expeditions.
The following sea-going facilities are available on request:
- Container for coring equipment (box corer, gravity corer, core cutter)
- Container for multi-sensor core logging (non- destructive measurements of P-wave velocity, density, magnetic susceptibility)