Contact person for the Ocean Decade at GEOMAR
Building on the outcomes of the UK G7 Presidency 2021, the UK Government hosted the International Digital Twins of the Ocean Summit in London, led by the Digital Twins of the Ocean (DITTO) programme of the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, with support from the G7 Future of the Seas and Oceans Initiative. The Summit was an in-person high-level event with live stream Q&A, and included a programme of virtual satellite events hosted by GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research, Kiel, Germany.
This Summit brought together users, providers / developers, and promoters of digital ocean initiatives to:
- advance community understanding of digital twins, their applications, and benefits,
- showcase potential applications of digital twins to address ocean sustainable development and inform policy decisions,
- inform participants about the state of the art, share knowledge and best practice,
- document ongoing and planned activities,
- promote co-design of digital twins and establish community activities, and
- provide recommendations to achieve a Digital Twin Framework of the Ocean by 2030.