This page summarizes the various activities of GEOMAR in the context of digitalization in research.
As shown in the graphic above, digital science subsumes a wide variety of areas that are driving the digitization of research.
Since the needs and developments in the individual subdisciplines as well as in the central computing and data infrastructures are developing in parallel, GEOMAR is establishing structures that allow a collaborative and holistic perspective on the individual strands of a Digital Science.
Internal panel coordinating GEOMAR’s activities and participation opportunities and structural consequences in digital science. Further information is available on the internal pages.
Digital Science Initiatives
GEOMAR is currently involved in following Digital Science initiatives:
- ESM – Advanced Earth System Modelling Capacity: a Contribution to solving Grand Challenges
- DIGITAL EARTH – Towards Smart Monitoring and Integrated Data Exploration of the Earth System
- ARCHES – Development of heterogeneous, autonomous and interconnected robotic systems for environmental monitoring of the oceans over technical crisis intervention to the exploration of the solar system
- OCEAN5D– Initiative to deliver a digital twin ocean giving access to ocean data and information technologies
- MOSES– Modular Observation Solutions for Earth Systems
- ARENA2– Artificial Research Environment for Networked Analysis
- HGF RF E&E DATA HUB - DataHub Tools
- HMC Hub E&E– HMC hub to promote the qualitative enrichment of data of the HGF research area Earth and Environment by means of metadata
- HMC Training– Design of different training courses for the scientific community to introduce and support the implementation of the metadata tools developed in HMC
- DAM Underway Data– Initiative of the German Alliance for Marine Research for the systematic collection, transfer to land, quality assurance and publication of "en route" research data of the vessels MARIA S. MERIAN, METEOR, POLARSTERN and SONNE
- MarDATA– Helmholtz School for Marine Data Science
Digital Science Events
The following Digital Science Events take place at GEOMAR:
- Digital Science Monday
- Data Science Symposium (more information on the intranet)
- Hacky Hour (more information on the intranet)
Internal Knowledge Hubs
Internal Knowledge Hubs pool expertise from digital science fields at GEOMAR to capture, share, exchange and discuss experiences. Currently, there are Knowledge Hubs at GEOMAR on the following topics:
- Machine Learning
- Underwater Imaging
- DevOps (Software Development)
- Marine Robotics
- Underwater Navigation/ Communication
- Scientific Computing Knowledge
Further information is available on the internal pages.
HGF Incubator Platforms
Research today is data-based research. For Germany as a science location, it is essential to bundle competencies in this field and to completely redefine information-based research. For this reason, the Helmholtz Association has created the Helmholtz Incubator.
In 2016, Helmholtz established the Helmholtz Incubator Information & Data Science to bring together and strengthen the outstanding competencies and enormous data resources of the Association. With the Helmholtz Incubator, Helmholtz aims to bring together experts from the entire community on a regular basis in order to create the fundamentals for innovative, interdisciplinary networks and approaches as well as to identify future-oriented topics and disruptive pilot projects.
In addition, five topics, so-called "platforms" of particular strategic importance for the entire Helmholtz Association, were named:
- Helmholtz Metadata Collaboration (HMC) - Coordinated by GEOMAR
- Helmholtz Artifical Intelligence Cooperation Unit (HAICU): Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Helmholtz Information & Data Science Academy (HIDA): Training of young scientists in re-designed graduate schools as part of a national consortium
- Helmholtz Imaging Platform (HIP): Imaging procedures & analysis methods
- Helmholtz Infrastructure for Federated ICT Services (HIFIS): Basic technologies and services for large-scale data-based research