Coming from other German universities or from abroad (assisted by the International Center at Kiel university (IC)), we hope you had a good arrival and found yourself already accommodated to Kiel and the Christian-Albrechts-University (CAU).
Unfortunately there will be restrictions to teaching according to CAUs Corona-pandemic rules (information for students). Most lectures and seminars will be given as online courses.
Since winter semester 2019/2020 a tutoring system has been implemented. Experienced scientists and lecturers will guide students through the curriculum. Students will communicate to tutors about missing information/obstacles/problems related to the curriculum (e.g. language, cultural differences of learning and teaching, housing etc.). This feedback approach will help us to improve the curriculum in an evolutionary process. Furthermore tutors are giving a first impression of upfront scientific work within their daily research activities to the students – linking them closer to the scientific community.
Current tutors are: Dr. A. Antia, Dr. E. Briski, Prof. Dr. U. Hentschel Humeida, Dr. M. Lenz, Dr. F. Melzner, Prof. Dr. A. Oschlies, Dr. M. Pahlow, Prof. Dr. T. Reusch, Prof. Dr. M. Wahl, Dr. F. Weinberger, Prof. Dr. A. Z. Worden.
Please read the following information carefully.
- General CAU welcome service
- Help for international students (and students new to Kiel):International students - advising, activities & services (International Center).
- Orientation program of the International Center (also for German students).
- Further activities by the IC see here (Tutors for students, International student groups, "study buddy program" etc.).
- As the German university system maybe very different from the one you know - please contact the Intercultural Mentor Program
- For German language courses (not necessary for the curriculum but helpful for daily life in Kiel) please contact the IC and the Lectorate German as a Foreign Language.
- Almost all of the curriculum's lectures and practical courses will be given in the GEOMAR main building West shore (Düsternbrooker Weg 20).
- For a good start please use all available information.
Your first day in M.Sc. Biological Oceanography at GEOMAR
Entering GEOMAR's west shore main building (Düsternbrooker Weg 20, map below), you find yourself in the lobby of the ground floor. To the left there is the library as well as the computing center. Below the ground floor is the first basement level, were most of the lecture and practical rooms are located.
Start of the curriculum winter semester 2021/2022:
October, 18 (starting at 10 am) Dr. Melzner (head of curriculum) and other scientists will give an introductory lecture (large practical room (B52)).
Have your matriculation number and your stu-email address at hand to complete our - up to then preliminary - participants list. As you will have practical courses at sea very soon, we need additional data (e.g. your passport number) latest on October 25.
General regulations concerning exams can be found here.
UnivIS: CAU general information system (open to public (lectures, timetables, persons, rooms etc.)).
OpenOLAT: CAU e-learning platform. All course information and material (registered OpenOLAT users only).
Below you find some information and videos about:
Christian- Albrechts-University (CAU)
Video about and by CAU.
Videos about Kiel
...... Kiel - summer impressions just outside GEOMAR west shore building......