Dr. Jan Helmke
Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
phone: +49 431 600-2818
phone: +49 431 600-2825
(1) The Board of Governors supervises the legality, expediency and efficiency of the administration of the Foundation's business. Taking the opinion of the Scientific Advisory Board into consideration, the Board of Governors makes decisions on the basic issues concerning the Foundation, including financial matters.
(2) After consulting the Board of Directors and the Foundation's advisory committees, the Board of Governors shall reach decisions on strategic and programme-related issues in the field of research, including the professional expertise of prominent positions in the scientific field.
(3) The Board of Governors defines the annual budget and multiannual financial plans, including the programmes for expansion and investment. The Board of Governors audits the annual financial statement and annual report presented by the Board of Directors as well as the progress report of the Centre; it states whether or not it approves the annual financial statement and progress report of the Centre drawn up by the Board of Directors and decides on the formal approval of the actions of the Board of Directors.
(4) In accordance with Section 17, the Board of Governors decides on amendments to the Statutes and the dissolution of the Foundation.
(5) The Board of Governors appoints the members of the Board of Directors for a term of no more than five years. They may be reappointed. The Scientific Advisory Board and the Scientific Council must be consulted before members are appointed or reappointed. Only the Scientific Director must be consulted if the Board of Governors is considering the position of the Administrative Director.
(6) The representative of the federal government on the Board of Governors shall conclude, amend and terminate the employment contracts with the full-time members of the Board of Directors. The Board of Governors shall be responsible for making claims for damages on behalf of the Foundation against members of the Board of Directors; to this extent, it represents the Foundation in court and out of court.
(7) The Board of Governors appoints the members of the Scientific Advisory Board.
(8) The following requires the previous consent of the Board of Governors:
a) exceptional measures and legal transactions that go beyond the scope of day-to-day operations and which could significantly influence the Foundation's activities, such as
b) significant changes or supplements to the previous assignments and significant organizational changes within the Foundation,
c) issuing rules of procedure for the bodies.
MinDir Volker Rieke
Federal Ministry for Research and Education
Secretary of State Dr. Oliver Grundei (Deputy Chair)
Ministry of Education, Science and Cultural Affairs of the State of Schleswig-Holstein
President, Kiel University
Prof. Dr. Frank Kempken
Dean of the Faculty for Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Kiel University
Prof. Dr. Monika Rhein
Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board
Prof. Dr. Nicole Dubilier
Max-Planck-Institute for Marine Microbiology, Bremen
Prof. Dr. Babette Simon
Professeur Associé, Faculté Médecine, Paris Descartes
President (ret.) Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency, Hamburg
Dr. Inez Linke
Prof. Dr. Peter M. Herzig
Prof. Dr. Lars Rüpke
Chair of the scientific council
Dr. Jörg Bialas
Scientific representative of the staff council
Dr. Christine Utecht
Chair of the staff council and non-scientific representative of the staff council
Dr. Ulrike Schroller-Lomnitz
Equal rights representative
Prof. Dr. Otmar D. Wiestler
President of the Helmholtz Association of Germen Research Centres