- a virtual Summer School
We invite young people between 14 and 17 years from Poland, Romania and Germany to a virtual summer school from July 12 to 23, 2021. The course will take place on the computer screen at home (via video-conferencing) with some special off-line tasks for the students related to particular topics. The working language will be English and Ocean@Home will be free of charge.
The goal of this course is to introduce the participants to important current issues of ocean research and to discuss those in the light of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. Focussing on the examples of the Baltic and Black Sea, the following topics will be addressed:
- Characteristics of the Baltic Sea and Black Sea
- Plastics in the Ocean
- Fisheries & Sustainability
- Climate Change
- Coastal Regions and their Adaptation to a Changing Climate
- The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
Ocean experts will introduce the topics above in live online seminars. The students will be working in international teams and receive a task related to the topic of the day. These can be solved online or offline, in the house or outside, but always in close cooperation within the teams. Every day ends with a second web conference by all participants of the summer school to discuss their findings.
In addition, teams of students will work on an overarching topic related to Ocean or Climate Sustainability, culminating in a joint presentation at the end of the course.
The daily work schedule will be from 09:00 hrs (Central European Time) to about 16:00 hrs.
- interest in ocean and climate sciences
- creativity and enthusiasm
- curiosity about young people in other countries
- a laptop, computer or tablet with a good internet connection.
We encourage young people interested in these topics to apply for one of the 10 places available per country!
The deadline for applications is: Friday, 30 April 2021
Materials available for applications:
- Information Leaflet with more details and contact information for questions (pdf, 149 kB download)
- Application Form (Word-Doc, 120 kB, or pdf 142 kB dowload)
Cooperating Partners & Team
This summer school is a joint course prepared and presented by the following scientific institutions and non-profit organizations:
If you would like to learn more about the people who contribute to Ocean@Home, click here to meet the Team!